Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Just Kids

Perhaps out of context, the meaning of these words will be muddled. However, they are what I deem the most poignant quotes from Patti Smith's Just Kids.

-I suspected my soul, being mischievous, might slip away while I was dreaming and fail to return. I did my best not to fall asleep, to keep it inside of me where it belonged. 
-Secretly, I knew I had been transformed, moved by the revelation that human beings create art, that to be an artist was to see what others could not.
-Both of them were ahead of their time, but they didn't live long enough to see the time they were ahead of. "Pioneers without a frontier."
-I thought the word meant both beautiful and ugly at the same time. 
-It seemed as if the whole world was slowly being stripped of innocence. Or maybe I was seeing a little too clearly.
-I don't even know what I'm doing, but I can't stop doing it. I'm like a blind sculptor hacking away.
-I believed he would once again embrace the knowledge that there is no pure evil, nor pure good, only purity.
-I chided myself for inactivity and self-indulgence, and resolved to rededicate myself to my work.

No comments: